- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 60 gm Butter
- 1 large Onion, finely diced
- 2 large Carrots, finely diced
- 2 large Celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely diced
- 125 gm Pancetta, diced (¼ inch cubes)
- 2 lb lean ground Meat (bend of pork & beef or just beef)
- 250 ml Dry White Wine
- 500 ml Milk
- 250 ml Beef Stock
- 800 gm Tomatoes, diced
- Set the large sauce pan over medium heat and heat the butter and oil together.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and salt; sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the diced pancetta until the veggies softened and pancetta brown.
- Increase the heat to high and add meat slowly, stirring and breaking the lumps. Cook for 15 minutes, until the meat turns brown and caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Bring the heat to medium and pour in the white wine. Push the meat all around and scrape all the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add milk, diced tomatoes, beef stock, salt & pepper; lower the heat and let it simmer for 4 hrs, half covered. Stir occasionally and adjust the seasonings.
- The sauce should be thick and more oil than water based.