- 2 eggs
- 100 gms bread crumbs
- 200-250 gms Parmesan cheese, grated
- 300-350 gms Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 eggplant (big)
- ½ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp corn/sunflower oil
- 2-3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 400 gms tomatoes, diced
- ½ tsp oregano
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic & onion; stir until onion has softened. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, few basil, oregano and ½ cup of cold water. Stir well. Let it simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Tomato sauce is ready.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Slice the eggplant into 1cm thick discs. Dip the slices in the beaten egg and coat them with bread crumbs. Pan-fry the slices with very little oil until the both sides are golden brown. Take them out and lay them on kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle salt over the fried slices of eggplant to taste.
- Take an oven dish. Spread few spoons of tomato sauce and olive oil as the base. Place the fried eggplant slices, mozzarella slices, parmesan and few basil leaves. Repeat this process to make three or four layers. Finish the layers with tomato sauce and grated parmesan.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve with basil leaves sprinkled.