- ¼ lb sliced bacon, cut crosswise into thin stripes
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tsps anchovy paste
- 1 head escarole (about 1 ½ pounds), leaves cut into ½ inch strips
- 2/3 canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ lb spaghetti
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tbsps butter
- Boil spaghetti in salt water till its al dente; drain and add a tbsp of olive oil.
- Heat the sauté pan, add butter and olive oil.
- Add bacon and garlic; stir for a while.
- Add anchovy paste, salt & red pepper flakes.
- Add escarole and chicken broth/stock.
- Toss in the spaghetti when escarole is tender.
Serve with grated cheese on top.