- 1 lb dry Great Northern Beans
- 2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsps dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tbsps finely grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Combine the beans, celery, onion, carrots, fennel seeds, oregano, garlic powder and red pepper flakes and 5 cups of cold water in a 3 quart slow cooker. Cook on high for 5 hours, until the beans are tender.
- If desired, drain to remove the bean cooking liquid which sometimes causes gas. Whether you drain the beans or not you’ll need to add more liquid. Add enough water to achieve desired soup thickness (it will be between 2-4 cups).
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Top each serving with 1 tbsp of the parmesan cheese.