- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsps balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 2 cups dried chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (packed) fresh spinach leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to brown.
- Add garlic cloves, ginger, ground coriander, salt and pepper. Keep stirring for 1 minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Spread the chickpeas in the bottom of a crock pot (slow cooker). Pour the tomato mixture over the chickpeas and stir well.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in spinach. You could use any leafy green that appeals to you, such as Swiss chard or kale.
- Serve as a side dish or over rice as an entrée.