- 1 lb fish fillets (any kind of fish you like)
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- Few curry leaves
- 2 red chilies, chopped
- ½ cup yogurt, beaten
- 1 tsp cumin seeds powder
- 1tsp mix of cinnamon & nutmeg powder
- 2 tbsps ground fresh coconut
- 3-4 tbsps oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mix chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste and lemon juice in a bowl and marinate the fish fillets for ½ hour.
- Heat oil in a non-sticky pan and shallow fry the fish pieces (without any marinade, keep the marinade aside to use it in the curry) until slightly golden brown. Remove the pieces from oil and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add fenugreek seeds, red chilies, curry leaves and fry for a minute. Now add chopped onions and fry until they are golden brown. Add beaten yogurt to the onions and keep stirring for few minutes to avoid the curdling.
- Add the fried fish pieces to the yogurt mix along with the marinade. Add salt, cumin powder, mix of cinnamon & nutmeg powder and fresh ground coconut, stir once, cover the pan with a lid and cook the fish on low heat for at least 30-40 minutes. To avoid the breaking of the fish pieces, do not stir the curry at all after adding the fish pieces.
- Remove from heat. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapattis.